“Marry me, darling, for I have cows!” — picking up girls in a disappearing tongue

galician girl and cow

Galician is uniquely rich in fixed expressions for that romantic-but-vexing moment when a man sees something he’d like to fuck. Many languages (French and Catalan come to mind) have their own clichéd versions of “do you come here often?” but Galician, in spite of losing its lexical footing a bit as it mixes with Spanish, is balls-out prolific with its pickup lines.

Galician is of course the language of Galicia, a mostly rural area in the northwest of the Iberian peninsula (you are perhaps more familiar with Galician’s southern cousin, Portuguese). As a function of its agricultural context, the language’s pickup lines evince an obsession with tractors (you can be as pretty as one, or as turbo-charged in your humping) and cows (owning them makes you desirable).

Most importantly, this is apparently the only language to have coined an onomatopoeia for finger-banging.

Galician women are known for being agarimosas (affectionate) and also for being decisive — once they set their sights on you they’ll stop at nothing to have you and keep you. But at the same time they can be relatively cold to strangers; my guess is that the following were developed over many evenings of compounding sexual frustration. (It’s certainly not the only example of linguistic creativity born out of misery.)

We’ll finish on a video of a rather inebriated Galician making use of that last item, fuch fuch. This video went viral, giving him renown throughout Galicia; one assumes that as a result of this performance he has never heard the sweet sound since.

Update: The video has been removed from YouTube and then reuploaded a few times; but hopefully the version below will work when you read this. If not, run a search for “fuch fuch”.

My favorite line: “It’s not polite to talk about people, but…”

I’d like to thank my Galician sources, Marina Sánchez and Xurxo Salgado, for their help in editing and translating these. As I was writing this, Marina was kind enough dispatch a last-minute addition:

Mose,

I’m in a family dinner right now and they’ve just reminded me of the following:

Pegariache unha lambetada de cona a cu e de cu a cona que non vas a saber si correrte ou cagarte de gusto.

I’d lick you up and down between your asshole and your pussy so much you won’t know if you feel like shitting or coming!

My god, what nonsense!

Thanks Marina. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your dinner.

Update: August 25, 2012

Nice to see some new readers: Ola Galiza!

In response to the more negative comments below: Nationalism (or regionalism, patriotism, whatever) is an understandable reaction; it’s also boring. Disagree with something I’ve said? Tell me what I’ve got wrong, and tell me what joking, flirting and sex in Galicia is really like. Just saying that I’m “tirando a nosa cultura polo chan” isn’t so useful.

My readers are not fucking idiots; they do understand that if you actually said these to a Galician girl you’d get (deservedly, and at the very least) slapped in the face.

I loved discovering a few things about Galicia (I’m surprised this isn’t evident to a few of you) and I’m happy to hear more — please continue to share in the comments. I’ve clarified some of the translations based on your comments, though translation is an art and it’s hard to make everyone happy.

And before you go thinking this is all about you, you may want to bounce around the blog a bit and learn about the ridiculous ways we screw in other parts of the world, e.g.: sloppy kissing in Brazilstages of sexual conquest in America, losing one’s virginity in Albania, etc.

94 Comments

1. Xan
    August 26, 2012

Nunca lin tantas parvadas xuntas… con que clase de xente falaches para documentarte?

2. Frank
    August 26, 2012

don´t expect everyone to tell you the very same phrases when you´re in Galicia, I´m half german half galician and there is not as many rural areas as there used to be, so I guess "we"´re loosing the "old customs"

3. NIetzsche
    August 26, 2012

Yo miss "quen te pillara nunha noite de xiada" = I wish I've stayed/sleep/fuck with you in a frosty night

4. NEno
    August 26, 2012

Me parto la goma neno

5. Anónimo
    August 26, 2012

Son galelgo, e doe na alma poder chegar a ler cousas coma esta. Incultura e ignorancia é o único plasmado neste artigo.

6. Galega son
    August 26, 2012

Galego ist the language of Galiza, not Gallego, only with one "l"… A minimum research , pl!!!!

7. August 25, 2012

Yep, there are indeed a few translation mistakes, some of which totally change the meaning and/or the pun. And it’s very important to bear in mind that, on the one hand, these are just jokes – nobody who really wants to flirt uses any of these; and on the other hand, from a linguistical point of view, the grammar and spelling are dialectal in many cases. I'm not correcting those, but for example the letter J doesn't exist in this language.

"Nena… ¿ti enrolas ou empacas?" Both enrolar and empacar are tasks you do while making bales of straw. You can find whatever connotation you want there.

“Os teus si que son ollos, non os das patacas.” A potato’s “eyes” are the non-germinated buds (the little green thingies they have, called yemas in Spanish, and I think also ojos). Therefore, the meaning of this sentence is similar to that of the garlic’s “teeth”.

“Tes uns ollazos que me matan.” “You have eyes that kill” sounds to me as a better translation, maybe… but your version is good too, methinks.

“Ghuapa, ghuapa non é, pero ten un pelaso…” Here, the suspension points are a very important element. They are used the same way as in Spanish. When you say in Spanish “hace un calor…” it doesn’t mean “there is a hot” or anything, it’s a kind of incomplete sentence, and the last part would be “…que quema” (which burns), “…que no se aguanta” (which can’t be endured), etc. “Pelaso” is the aumentative of “pelo” (hair), which means the hair is very beautiful, and the suspension points could be “precioso” (beautiful), “abraiante” (mind-blowing), etc. This is a very common use of suspension points all throughout Spain, including Galicia and its language, of course. So the point is not “you aren’t pretty but have long hair”, but rather “you aren’t pretty but your hair is awesome”. Your translation is bad but the explanation is good, so I guess you got the point after all 😛

The poison one is perfect. I don’t know why someone says it isn’t. It can be assumed that it refers to semen, but veneno means poison and semen is never called veneno.

“Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres.” This is another pun. As you say, “no tener pelos en la lengua” means to say things directly, honestly and sometimes impolitely, but here it also refers to the literal meaning, so yes, oral sex, as some people said before me. “My tongue doesn’t have hairs on it because you don’t want it to”, or something similar – too complicated English grammar for me in this case…

“Imos pa camiña or tes ganas de quentar a cama?” Shall we go beddy-bye or you feel like heating the bed up? (doesn’t change so much really)

“Ghastas pista?” Of course, it is an invitation to dance, as you say. If you want the literal meaning, gastar means to wear out and pista is a dancing floor.

Come on, the tanker truck one is quite obvious 😛

“Nena, quérote a tractoradas.” Puñado means fistful, cucharada means spoonful and tractorada means “tractorful” 😉 So this is something like “I have tractorfuls of love for you”.

“Nena, quen te pillara na horta do meu pai cunha perna en cada rego.” This “quen te pillara…” means “lucky he who could catch you”, or “I wish I could catch you”. I think it exists in Spanish as well, but I’m not sure. It’s similar to “quen for a rico” (I wish I were rich), etc. And a rego is a furrow – the line where you plant potatoes or whatever. Again, this is just a more accurate translation, but you explained the point correctly.

“Gustaríame comer a unha cuarta do teu embigo pra poder decirche, "Toma, este pelo es tuyo".” A cuarta is the same as a palmo, i.e. a handspan! I’d like to eat a handspan away from your navel so I could say, “here, this hair is yours”. Why is the last part in Spanish anyway? In Galician it would be: toma, este pelo é teu.

“Juapa! Bombón! Che comía, e para non cajarte, cosíame o cú!” It’s COMÍATE, not “che comía”! This is a horrible double mistake!! I don’t know who wrote this sentence for you but tell them off from me 😛

“Cotizas na Agraria.” Cotizar means to pay a tax or the public insurance (which after all is a tax) in relation to the amount of work you do. So the sense is exactly the opposite than what you say – to pay, not to charge. This Agraria thing is the agricultural union, or something similar. However I’d say this sentence should be a question (¿cotizas na Agraria?), but I’m not sure, I had never heard this one before.

“Se foses a miña nai, o meu pai ia ir durmir ao palleiro.” If you were my mum, dad would sleep in the barn. Who told you that masturbating thing? o.0

“Deus cho paghe”, or “Dios te lo pague” in Spanish, means “may God pay you for this”. It’s a way to say thanks, kind of an intense one. So nothing to do with flirting or sex.

“E ló ti qué?”, or more correctly “¿e logo ti que?”, means something like “so, what’s up with you?”. Logo here means then, but in the sense of “so”, not of “later”.

“Fuch fuch!” This onomatopeia what??? o.0 This is what farmers say to frighten hens or other animals away when you want to make them go where you want, and it’s pronounced like “foosh, foosh”. It comes from “fuxe”, the imperative of “fuxir”, i.e. flee (have in mind that X in Galician may sound like -ks- or like English –sh-, depending on the word). Maybe it’s used as a pickup line… but it sounds very strange to me!

I am a student of Translation and Interpretation, actually my main languages are English and Galician, and this took me a lot of time to write and research for the most accurate options, so I really hope it is useful and you, well, take it into consideration 🙂

8. Roberto
    August 25, 2012

90% of these sentences have long been used throughout Spain by simpleton peasants. Of course no educated person from neither the country nor any urban area would be dumb enough to seriously use them.

As previously stated by other guys the translation of "Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres" (in Spanish: "Nena, no tengo pelos en la lengua porque tú no quieres") is specially wrong. The idiom "to not have hair(s) in the tonge" means being very straight in whatever you say, speaking no-nonsense. So the sentence: "Babe, I don't have hair(s) in my tongue because you don't want that" has a double meaning and it's actually quite humourous in an alcoholic context.

I'm surprised not to see any girl's pickup lines in the same fashion, like "se me hace el chichi gaseosa" (my cunt is turning into soda). I'm not sure if there's a Galician equivalent of that one but there should be plenty.

9. Ramón
    August 25, 2012

Qué soberana gilipollez. En primer lugar el gallego no es una lengua que esté desapareciendo. En segundo lugar todas esas frases forman parte de una especie de listado de "frases graciosas" que se usan para bromear en conversaciones pero no para "ligar". Es como si alguien hace años hubiera escrito sobre el castellano y dijera que los españoles para ligar dicen "te voy a borrar el cerito sexuarrr". Pues algo similar. No sé quien lo ha escrito, pero desconoce completamente la realidad gallega.

10. Phredward
    August 25, 2012

.There's another nice play on words in "Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres." You translate it as "Girl, there's so much I'd like to say but won't, out of respect for you," but the literal translation is much juicier: "Girl, I don't have hairs on my tongue, because you don't want me to."

11. Ana
    August 25, 2012

Great post! I really liked it and, as mentioned above, they are jokes, quite popular most of them. Regarding the translations, it's true that some of them are incomplete, and their main idea has been misunderstood. There is another one not commented regarding the potatoes:
    Os teus si que son ollos, non os das patacas.
    Yours really are eyes, and not those of potatoes.
    For some reason this one is VERY famous.
    The "eyes of a potato" are the buds that grow out of the potato and are used to seed the plant; the biggest the bud, the more probable you will obtain a big healthy plant (and hence more potatoes). It's popular because the potatoes are always present on the Galician menu.
    I hope this helps you to understand why it's so popular 😉

12. unhagalegaofendida
    August 25, 2012

Seica os pais do que escribiu este post eran irmáns e lles saíu o fillo tróspido.
    Este é un claro exemplo dun rapaz tan parvo que non atopa o cú coas dúas mans.
    Nada máis que engadir.

13. ErasmusGoHome
    August 25, 2012

get more fucking and less blogging. It seems you need it. Such a poor perspective! Take gay friends and a heterosexual woman and write fron more perspectives than your sexist one!!! you loser! your blog is trash! it smells to frustration of not getting what you need.

14. Leirán
    August 25, 2012

Graciñas bohes. Estaría ben aclarar se ter pelos na lengua ten doble sentido en Inglés coma en galego. En galego cando alguén di "non teño pelos la lengua" está decindo que di as cousas á cara e directamente, por eso o gracioso da frase, que cando empeza parece que está falando d'outra cousa.

15. Localman
    August 25, 2012

By the way, half of the expressions and vulgarity can be found in Asturias, too, especially after a few ciders… (e.g., préstasme is exactly the same: prestar = gustar + -me at the end). And you can find similar (rude) expressions in every rural part of Spain. As they say in mine, "Agujero con pelo, a jodelo" ("hole with hair, fuck it").

16. Localman
    August 25, 2012

Just another nationalistic/sensationalistic/stereotype-y post to try to capture attention about Galicia. These or similar allegedly funny but vulgar and rude sentences do exist in every language, and Galicia is not a rural region full of rude assholes that use this kind of language, as the author seems to imply.
    By the way, isn't it stupid that the first comment in an English post is written in Catalan, talking about similarities/differences between Galician/Catalan women? Oh yeah, nationalism + flirting. Is there a best way to capture attention?

17. Ana

This is ONLY AN EXAMPLE of Galicia, the very best of Spain:
    AND PLEASE, SEE ALL OF THIS WEB AND CLOSE YOUR MOUTH, "ENGLISH WRITER":

18. Rapunzinha
    August 25, 2012

Nice try! If I had to write a similar post about South Korea I would probably make some mistakes too. That´s no reason to be so hard on the guy. Probably he knows that other parts of Spain have their own "particularities" too (La Hora Chanante is a great example) .

Of course Galicia has much more to offer than cows and tractors, such as surf (the Spanish Federation is located in Ferrol), free public internet in some cities and rural areas, one of the oldest universities in Europe, the best Faculty of Mathematics in Spain and students and researchers in Harvard, Oxford and LSE. However, there´s nothing bad about recognizing that a considerable part of our heritage deals with sex and farms.

Another comment is that those expressions are still used as jokes today, and not only among men. For example, a girl can say: "Rapas, sabías que tes un aire que nin Dios a todos os que me ghustan a min?" (Boy, did you know that you fucking look like all the guys I like?). And "Préstasme" (I like you, I like you in the same way that I would feel after eating a bunch of tasty food).

19. Pablo
    August 25, 2012

LOL!! i'm a galician guy, and i've just "escachado da risa" (laughing a lot) with this article =D
    nice work!! as some ppl said up there, there are some grammatical and translation errors, but is fine xDDD

also this: "Se che poño o pixo ás costas vas parecer un camión cisterna." ("If I put my dick in your backside, you'll look like a tanker truck."); realy have sense, as it shows how big that cock is =P
    sorry my english gramar!
    cheers!!

20. Avaray
    August 25, 2012

"Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres" in fact has a lliteral meaning. It means that he doesn´t have hairs in his tongue because she don´t want (until that moment, i suppose) him to have. It´s refering actually to an oral sex proposition that, as many readers may know, may you get a certain kind of hairs inside your mouth.

21. Fer

Nice post! 😀
    But we use all that expressions as jokes, it's not our real life language XD
    And disapearing?? More than a million people speak Galician…

22. rapaza
    August 25, 2012

It seems that the author of the post has never been in Galicia… because more than the half of the things written here are not true… It's sad that some foreigners have this concept of Galicia, a place that yes, is really green, with a lot of small villages and people that work in the country, but is not as described (i suggest you to go to A Coruña, Santiago de Compostela, Vigo, Ourense or any other city from Galicia to see what i mean). And another thing, galician is not a language mixed with spanish, is a language similar to spanish.

The kind of sentences that have been written here is used, yes, but there is this kind of sentences all around Spain, not only in Galicia, and there are even more "rural" sentences in some areas of Castilla la Mancha, for instance. Is better to get more information before writing about something, or at least would be nice to say that what you write is what you think or your personal opinion.

Regards.

23. Lion
    August 25, 2012

I'm Galician and speak a bit of english so let me correct you:
    E logho ti, de quen ves sendo? – So you…Whom are you from? (In reference to fathers
    Deus cho paghe – God bless you.
    E ló ti qué? – So/then… what about you? (This is hard to translate)

24. A Galician
    August 25, 2012

Se foses a miña nai, o meu pai ia ir durmir ao palleiro. > If you were my mother, my father would sleep in the shed.
    Ghastas pista ou queres caña? > Do you run down/waste the floor or do you drink beer/want to fuck? (It's a polysemic way to ask 'Do you dance or do you drink?' with sex implications depending on the interpretation).

25. Veronica
    August 25, 2012

Really??????? After visiting Galicia that´s the most valuable thing you can find? You are suggesting that my mother tongue is a filthy bag of crap, and what your reduced mind wasn´t able to find out is the origin and the vast culture of "regueifas" and sarcastic songs angainst women and men which last till today and started with the muslim "jarchas" . Good God! If you read Quevedo´s jácaras what would you think about the Golden Period of Spanish literature. That´s true that Galicia is mostly a rural community but that´s no degradating the third part of US is rural as well. I advice you two things, first of all check with a Galician native speaker the translations there are many mistakes reated with traditions and cultural knowledge that you have overlooked, within this, try to recive your imput from the cultural nest that is elderly people not drunk teenagers, and second what you take for granted as typical Galician expressions of slang are insults mostly, as if "motherfucka" would be taken as a recognizable way of speaking between all Americans. Instead, one which I like and is also a hard one but completely Galician is "Vouche meter a fosa no puril" Please if you want sardonic Galician go and buy Retranca and simply rethink what you just said. Galician people weren´t rude an umpolite, but yes kind of elegantly spicy. Enough to say that I felt a bit offended, indeed. So, a rañala raparigo. (yes that´s Galician)

26. Great job! Looking forward to travel to Galicia and use some of them! Cheers

27. Manolo
    August 25, 2012

¡Se foses a miña nai, o meu pai ia ir durmir ao palleiro!,
    means
    If you were my mother my father would have to sleep in the BARN

28. tiniako
    August 25, 2012

Only one correction. I'm from Spain and we use the same lovely sentence in Spanish, I'm talking about the one that says "Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres". Actually, you should have translated in a literal way: "Babe, my tongue is not full of hairs just because you do not want to (let it have them)", I think you can imagine now what it means, it's actually much more naughty.

29. Eu FALO galego
    August 25, 2012

Lots of this saying are also said around Spain. Most of them are attributed to building workers.

30. OMG!
    August 25, 2012

not accurate translations for the funniest phrases that make laugh everybody by the old fashion way to displease girls with such a kind of coarse and rude expressions that are not used for flirt but to make angry girls. Its a kind of strategy to know what sense of humor girls have. Fortunately we live in a funny place where even the worst comments and the unpleasant blogs are welcome with a fine sense of humor, and not less irony, this kind of humor is not suitable for all cultures or dummies who try to get nirvana by insulting what they do not understand. You can travel a bit more to try to cover your ignorance if you can not learn more or get culture with other methods.

31. Tipsy Pilgrim
    August 25, 2012

@Marcos, so noted; fixed. Thanks.
    There seem to be a lot of differing opinions on these translations and meanings of a few of these phrases but I do intend to get to the bottom of this!

32. fryant
    August 25, 2012

"Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres." "Girl, there's so much I'd like to say but won't, out of respect for you."

This is not accurate. It directly translates as "Girl, I don't have hairs in my tongue because you don't want me to", which is another way of saying "I wanna eat you out but you won't let me".

33. Marcos G.
    August 25, 2012

Hi! Nice post! Just one thing, the language of Galicia in English it's not Gallego, it's Galician language. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galician_language. Also, you're using some dialects which are not used all over the region/county

34. bohes
    August 25, 2012

All this phrases are for joking or sometimes are used in man to man conversations, its riskly use it with a woman. There are some errors in the translations:
    .Tes uns ollazos que me matan.-Your eyes are killing me- You have nice eyes
    E vou, e bótoche o veleno todo ali. -I'll come, and dump all my poison up in there.-Change poison for cum.
    Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres.- I don't have hair in my tongue, cause you dont want- If you let me, i gonna eat your pussy.
    Se che poño o pixo ás costas vas parecer un camión cisterna. If I put my dick in your backside, you'll look like a tanker truck.- Fuck me, I've a very big dick
    Nena, quérote a tractoradas.- Baby, I love you as big as a tractor load- I love you so much.
    Gustaríame comer a unha cuarta do teu embigo pra poder decirche, "Toma, este pelo es tuyo".- I'd like to eat one handspan away of your bellybutton so that then I could tell you, "Look, this hair is yours."- Invitation to make her oral sex.
    Cotizas na Agraria? – You pay to Agraria?- Do you have a pension plan?
    Había ser raro que non saíra eu coa cara tapada polo pelo. It would be strange not to come out of this without my face covered in hair.- Her pubic hair
    Se foses miña nai, meu pai ia ir durmir ao palleiro.-If you were my mother, my father would sleep in the barn. – I'll fuck you although we were family.
    Nena es máis potente cun tractor con turbo.- Girl, you're more powerful than a turbocharged tractor.- You're so pretty/hot

35. Ka
    August 25, 2012

I want to explain some examples for understanding our way to laugh on things. In Galicia we have a television network that broadcasts movies dubbed in our language, and we are proud of the way we laugh at all, we have a language that sounds casual, so epic phrases like "i 'll be back" almost become EPIC parodies simply by the way we talk. This humor is extrapolated to many things, includying flirting, but always becoming a joke.

36. Tipsy Pilgrim
    August 25, 2012

Graza galegos/as for your comments. I've added a follow-up above, at the end of the article.

37. Galician In Exile
    August 25, 2012

@Miguel if you answer what you said, then, you're no true Galician… a true Galician wouldn't answer your way, but this one:

-Hey, Miguel. Is it truth that Galicians are like blahblahblah?"
    – I don't know… Are we?

38. Ka
    August 25, 2012

Galician people have a very great sense of humor, we are very funny and happy, so this sentences are just one way to laugh, we use a lot of disgusting and funny terms for making jokes all the time. Of course Galicia is a rural area but I can tell you i've not seen a "palleiro" or "rego" in years (because i'm from one city) lol we use that sentences anyway!! just for fun 🙂
    sorry for my bad english 😉

39. A guy from a "not so cool" place
    August 25, 2012

Mira, Miguel, eu tamén son de aldea e levo toda a miña vida vivindo nela. Nin eu, nin os meus familiares nin os meus amigos utilizamos nunca ningunha desas frases co propósito que este tío describe aquí. Só se usan para facer bromas, ou para pinta-la mona, nunca co propósito de ligar. Está describindo unha realidade galega totalmente inexistente deixándonos a nós de parvos e tirando a nosa cultura polo chan. Despois vén xente coma ti disculpándose e as de dios. Eu, de verdade, non entendo ós galegos. Temos o que nos merecemos, por gilipollas, por baixa-la cabeciña diante dos de fóra. Sempre seremo-la última merda mentras nos sigamos axeonllando deste xeito diante dos de fóra.

40. Souto
    August 25, 2012

Y que quede claro que fuch fuch no es gallego, sino una "onomatopeya" graciosa (eso sí) que salió de la imaginación de un adorable borracho gallego, nada más.

41. Raquel
    August 25, 2012

First,as a Galician I have to say that your view from here it´s a sterotype from people who think that came from a better and developed country. Galicia it´s not only agriculture, we have beatiful cities and Galician lenguage it´s not disspearing, even young people in cities speak it, cause is our symbol of identity. It really piss me off that from Europe only Barcelona and famous cities have the cool way. And this is not a way for fuck of course, that expressions r ussed sometimes for jocking between friends. So please, get more information before writting !

42. catavello
    August 25, 2012

Galician has more speakers than catalán!

43. Ildu

Disappearing tongue??? Really???
    "Galicia, a mostly rural area in the northwest of the Iberian peninsula" Of course, I was born in the middle of the field! in fact, I'm discovering internet today, cause, you know, we have no developed cities and electric here!
    PLEASE, make us a favor and stop to write this kind of crap.
    BTW, this sentences are only for joke, it's not a real way to flirt, as you are saying here.

44. Adri
    August 24, 2012

Well, this is presented like a matter of fact, and actually It isnt. As a Galician there is a couple of things i need to say. Also like an Anthropologist and someone like (more or less) know its own culture. I mean, you can say this kind of things, and there is two possible outcomes; 1) you get a fist in your face. 2) You both laugh and start over a conversation knowing that, at least, both have sense of humor. Even the people that make this in the most serious way, the dont really mean that (at least nowadays) and this kind of expressions are just jokes to be made. If not, why Miguel would laugh instead just wonder why this is suprising for someone? You may know this lines, but as a Galician, you would never use it in a real environment when you really want to have any chance with a girl. And yeah, say that It is a word in galician for the sound of the fingers sliding in and out of the vagina… Its a huge, risky and irreal step. As you may know, as a person that can speak many lenguages, the speakers are creative and every day lot of persons just made up lots of expresions, jokes, lenguages… I remember perfectly when that video comes out, it was kind of viral on its time, and everybody knows precisely cause the guy was very funny invented things. The fact is, if you come to Galicia and ask to somebody wichi is the sound in galician to that, everybody is going to see you like if you were a crazy person.

Well, once said that, there is some translations in the text that are absolutely fails. One of the worst; "If you were my mother, my father would fall asleep masturbating." Doesnt make sense at all. "Palleiro" is the place where the straw is and the translation should be something like "If you were my mother, my father would fall asleep in the barn" No meaning of masturbation imply or explicit.

This one "Nena, non teño pelos na lingua porque ti non queres." is refering literally to oral sex, nothing to do with the "ter pelos na lingua" lenguage than literally means say something wrong about someone, or more exactly, dont have control about what is socially acceptable to say or not about other persons. So, a better translation would be something like "Baby, i have no hair in my tongue cause you dotn want me to have it" and hair would be, litterally, a cunt hair.

Also, "Deus cho paghe" is the first time on my life I listen it refering to sex. Is just a common expresion to say "thank you", very close to "god bless you" in english actually.

I dont mean to underestimate your job, but if what you want is make a rigorous description this is totally in the wrong direction.

45. Miguel
    August 24, 2012

Hey, friend. I don't think anybody is making fun of anybody's motherland here.
    I've lived all my life (and still) in Galicia and I can say that, if this stuff is not everyday's vocabulary and behavior for the regular galician youth (not the least), there is a big part of realism in this compilation. This, my friends, happens. I've seen it and hear it.
    Regardless of the content of this article, it's a bit childish to feel offended by stereotypes. Yeah, sure people living in the far away big city know very lil' about life and culture in lil' rural villages. But also, life in rural areas is not always like eco-products-ads picture on the TV, green fields, fresh air, nice homely people and only you and the peaceful nature.
    I love my country and its people, and becouse I love em I can recognize its virtues and its defects (its lovely defects). When some "foreign" guy says: "-Hey, Miguel. Is it truth that Galicians are like blahblahblah?" I answer: "-Hahahaha. Yeah, we do that."
    And that, my friends, is why you shouldn't give a fuck about stereotypes of countries.

46. A guy from a "not so cool" place
    August 24, 2012

This is nothing but a lot of stupid stereotypes written by a "cool" guy living in the "cool" Barcelona talking shit about a "not so cool" place. If you would have written shit about people from other parts of Spain or even from parts of Catalonia they would, of course, defend themselves from the shit you would write abou them, not like galicians do. In Galicia we are so stupid that we start to apologize and give credit to the shit that foreign people talk about us.

47. Miguel
    August 24, 2012

Great compilation!
    I'm from Galicia and I already knew most of the lines here, some others are new to me. But everyone of them make me feel embarrased and lmao equally. I suppose that for most of the foreign readers these expressions may sound terribly offensive, disgusting or unbelievable, but in the deep rural areas around here, where everybody (even girls) is raw and… rural, this is part of youth everyday pickup slang.

48. August 24, 2012

xef, xef? xof, xof? xif, xif? xif, xef? xef, xof? etc.?

49. Tipsy Pilgrim
    August 24, 2012

Good point. But what do you propose calling this sound in Catalan? It clearly needs its own word.

50. August 24, 2012

Interessantíssim! Que dur que deu ser el seu treball de camp, amb tants tractors, vaques i arades.
    Curiosament, l'onomatopeia enamoradora en terres catalanes: "fuig, fuig" (del verb fugir) = "go away, go away". Però, bé, malgrat la diferència d'intencions, alguna cosa em diu que el resultat de dir-ho a una gallega deu ser el mateix que el de dir-ho a una catalana…